Saturday, January 16, 2021

Philly Cheesesteaks

 So back when I was in the military I was stationed in Philly for a time getting our ship decommissioned. In my mind it was crazy because it was only 8 years old. But it is what it is. During the time I was there I would go off base to get the most amazing Philly Cheesesteaks. They were done off of one of those food trucks. That is also my favorite tacos! Food truck tacos!! Aaaaanywaaaaays, these things were awesome. If you are from Philly I am sure you have a different recipe.......and I would love to have it. But I was only there for a time and never learned how to make it correctly. So I am giving my best guess here.

One thing I have learned is Philly cheesesteaks need very little seasoning. Don’t go crazy and try and get all creative. That is not what these are about. They are simple and too the point. Actually, I think the biggest part of these is caramelizing the onions. So that’s I made sure I did first. It also is the longest part of it all. 

This will make 4 Cheesesteaks

First mix 3 tablespoons of room temperature butter and a garlic clove minced together. Set aside to put on the hoagie buns.

So take one large yellow onion and chop it. Add this onion to the buttered braiser that is on medium heat. If you want to use a not stick you can. But I love my braiser and how it makes my carmelization perfect. I’m sorry I did not get a picture of this because I was also entertaining guests. I will do it next time and add it on here. I set aside my onion in a bowl so I could use my braiser next for the steak. Just put it next to you, you will add thIs to the steak when it is almost cooked through.

Next I took my New York steaks out of the freezer that I had in there for about 45 min. The reasoning behind this is to make it a lot easier on yourself to cut the steak into thin strips. You want this for melt in your mouth delicate steak pieces for your bun. Cut it all up then add to the braiser. Add about a tablespoon of olive oil, salt and pepper and let it cook. Turn when ready about 2-3 minutes. When it is almost done cooking add the onions back in and combine. Let it sit for a moment on low and let the juices get back into the steak and add the provolone cheese on top and let that melt. 

During this time spread the garlic butter spread onto the inside of the hoagie buns, put them inside facing up on a baking sheet and put them in the oven. Set the oven to broil. DO NOT WALK AWAY. It will only take a couple minutes and you will have warm perfect hoagie buns. Take them out as soon as you see the golden brown carmelized on top. 

When you take them out the cheese should be melted perfectly. Take your spatula and transfer the steak, onions and melted cheese onto the hoagie. Do this will all 4  hoagies. Plate them all or serve them on a platter like I have done. Enjoy!!

BON APPETIT!!




No comments:

Post a Comment

;